Jul 8, 2007

Backlog

I find that I'm very good at thinking of things, not writing them down, and then not meditating on them as long as I ought. There are several ideas that I have been pondering in the last month, but I haven't gotten around to jotting them down.......so here's a bit of it, probably with more to come. I enjoy not being in school because my mind is more free to think on such things.

After several weeks of hemming and hawing about it, I finally purchased and read Who Is Your Covering? by Frank Viola. The topic is authority in the church. His assessment is that questions such as the one in the title or "to whom are you accountable?" are really asking the question "who controls you?" It's a question that comes up for those believers who are outside of the institutional church setting as they meet other believers, and often the answer they're looking for is a person (pastor, elder, etc.), a denomination, or something similar. Very much in a nutshell, Viola suggests that the top-down hierarchical leadership structure practiced by the vast majority of Christians in the West is actually quite different from the picture of the church presented in the scriptures. He also says that the offices of pastor, elder, etc., wrongly place authority with man instead of with God Himself. (For related verses, see Mt. 20:25-28, 23:8-12, and Lk. 22:25-26)

Viola then presents a picture of the first-century church characterized by brotherhood and the involvement of every member of the body of Christ in building up, mutual subjection (that is, believers subjecting themselves to one another and authority coming from the Holy Spirit instead of authority coming to a person or persons through an office and demanding obedience), and confidence that the churches can seek the Lord on their own without a single dynamic leader. (Paul had this confidence in the churches he planted--2 Cor. 2:3, Gal. 5:10.) You can't judge a book by its summary :), but that gives you some idea of what he has to say. Feel free to ask questions if you like. Viola has clarified and developed some ideas I have had over the last several years, so I greatly enjoyed the book.

I've started reading another of his books (Covering is #2 of 5 in a series) called So You Want To Start a House Church? So far its a study of church planting as it was done in the scriptures--interesting stuff. I'm sure I'll write something on it soon, as well as something on the things stirring in my heart as a result of reading.

Other things on the backlog: Job, Philemon, how the Holy Spirit speaks

No comments: