Jan 12, 2009

News

If it wasn't obvious, blogging has moved even farther down the list of things to do in the last six months. I have a few things I'll try to get to this week before classes start next Tuesday (when free time will disappear again), but I wanted to write about the way God has led our family in the last couple of months.

I can point to several points in my life where God has spoken very clearly to me through monetary things. Going to college, time on staff with InterVarsity, traveling to Egypt, going to grad school.....God spoke very clearly through financial means in all of these instances. So when I scheduled a saxophone audition with the Air Force Band of the West in San Antonio, TX, I took note of the ways that he took care of the expenses for the trip (they don't pay to fly you down).

First, a free plane ticket was given to us. Then, someone said they wanted to pay for a rental car, which I needed to get around while I was there. Then, a stranger offered to let me stay in his home for free while I was there (more on this in a moment). And after that someone gave me some extra money for food, gas, etc. So instead of potentially dropping $800 on getting to Texas, I was basically going for free. We were thankful.....

I arrived on Saturday night for a Monday audition and drove to Adam's home. Adam posted a comment on house churches in a random forum this summer, and Lisa found his info through an internet search. I told him a bit about myself and asked if I could stay with him, and he said ok. I was excited to have been divinely placed in the home of a brother with whom I could so quickly have real fellowship. Not only that, but Sunday morning I went with him to a meeting with a group of believers and was greatly blessed to hear their testimony of Jesus. It was indeed a joyous trip, and I hadn't even done what I originally went to do.

It almost seemed too good to be true, so I figured there was no way I would actually win the audition. Six of us were there to play, and I was chosen to play first in the morning round. I sought to walk humbly with Jesus as I went, and He heard me as I asked for peace while I played. They picked prepared pieces that I was very comfortable with, and I had played the two most difficult "sight-reading" excerpts. After playing and then sitting around for a couple of hours I found out I was one of the four selected to move on.

The second round consisted of playing lead alto with their big band (they have a concert band and a big band) and improvising. All of that went very well, and after another couple of hours they told me I was the one they wanted. Lisa and I waited until today to formally accept the position, just to allow God time to speak if He wanted. But as I look back on the experience, I think I can say that this is one of the most clear ways that God has spoken to me (us) in some time. We are thankful to have a job in a time when many are losing theirs, and to know some believers in the new city we are moving to. I'm excited to see what He has in store for us there....

....after basic training. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

It's cool when God has His way and works out all the intricate details! Congrats on the job--I hope the transition for you and your family goes well!