Jan 15, 2007

Job, part 1

I've always had a difficult time following the lengthy discussions in Job, where he and his friends discuss the meaning of the circumstances of Job's life. (translation: I fall asleep because I get bored.......not that that's right) I've undertaken the task of figuring out what's going on in that book, what exactly is being said. Here is the first installment of a summary of the arguments (sorry if it's a bit like The Message). I've noted the chapters, and I can provide a list of the particular verses used in the summary.

Chapter 3 Job: “I wish I had never been born….the pain is too great.”

Chapters 4-5 – Eliphaz: “Now it’s your turn; shouldn’t you have confidence in God? The innocent prosper, but who is truly innocent? No created thing will help you. If it were me, I would cry out to God. He causes pain, but He also heals. He does miraculous things!”

Chapters 6-7 – Job: “God is against me, that’s why I’m so distraught. Why doesn’t He just finish me off before I blaspheme Him? Don’t beat around the bush, just tell me, friends, what I have done wrong! Aren’t I right?! My life is EMPTY!! I’m at my wits end, so I will speak my mind, speak of my bitterness. Why are you after me, God?! It’s one thing after another! Please, just let me be! And what is my life to you, anyway?”

Chapter 8 – Bildad: “Listen to yourself! How long can you say these things? Obviously, your children sinned and God punished them. But if you repent before Him, He will restore you. The godless have no hope, but in Him you will find joy again.”

Chapters 9-10 – Job: “How can a man be right before God? I cannot answer Him. My words would condemn me even though I’m in the right……and I am right. Since I’m innocent and my life is like this, I can only conclude that God brings hardship on both the righteous and the wicked. Nothing will change, so why should I even bring my case before Him? I’m afraid of what will happen unless someone mediates, but who can do that? But here’s what I’d say if I could speak with Him: ‘What have I done, God? Why have you torn apart my life? You made it so good, and now you’ve destroyed it. You didn’t tell me that living righteously would get me this. At least give me a little joy before I die…..”

Chapter 11 – Zophar: “Job, do you think we can hear you say these things and not say anything? You think you’re perfect, but the reality is that God isn’t giving you half of what you deserve! He knows all and sees your sin. But still, if you reach out to Him, He will take away your shame.”

Chapters 12-14 – Job: “Look, genius, you have nothing on me. Who doesn’t know these things?! The well-off make fun of me, thinking they can take care of themselves, but the reality is that God is the one in control, and all will answer to Him. I’m asking God directly, not you liars who make up answers for Him and who think you need to defend Him! Keep silent, and let me say my piece. I only ask, two things, God: that you end my suffering, and that I get to talk this over with you face to face. Show me what I’ve done!

“God, we humans are so fleeting. Why even waste your time with us? Just make things a little easier for us. Oh, that I would have a second chance, a resurrection, where You would let me be with You, with my sins forgotten. But I do not have that hope; You keep it from me. Only death awaits me…….”

It was all I could do to not add ".....with nasty, big, sharp pointy teeth" to the end of that last line. :)

1 comment:

Noah Braymen said...

Dude...good summary...but for an overview of the book you might want to boil it down to even simpler thoughts...maybe a sentence...there's no way I could remember all of that.

I have also experienced sleepiness while reading this book. My favorite chapter is 38 though...

If you can make sense of the dialogue the end of the book is really awesome! This book seems to scream...GOD IS SOVEREIGN!

God to Job:

38:3-13 “Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me.
"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have
understanding. Who determined its measurements--surely you know! Or who stretched
the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the
morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy? "Or who shut in
the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb, when I made clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling band, and prescribed limits for it and set bars and
doors, and said, 'Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud
waves be stayed'? "Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused
the dawn to know its place, that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth, and the
wicked be shaken out of it?”

Humbling!