Feb 4, 2007

Trois reflets

It's been a busy couple of days, sorry I didn't post something last Tuesday. We went out of town to visit Lisa's dad (he had surgery last week) and my grandparents. I'll write again in a couple of days, but for now, a few thoughts......

- It's interesting to watch people get on the bus every day. There are several rules to follow, sort of like urinal etiquette for guys. First, if there is an empty seat, sit there, presumably so you don't have to sit by anyone else. Second, if there isn't an empty seat, sit by someone of the same gender. If it's not possible to follow those rules, sit by a member of the opposite sex. The thing is that when you actually talk with someone you don't know, they're generally pretty nice. Deceit? Maybe, as the actions of most (including myself) point toward most of us wanting to sit alone in our own world without talking to anyone. I don't want to be someone that avoids the world, I want to engage it. Jesus says that even saying 'hi' can be a big deal, that the Kingdom of God can advance through that (Matthew 5:47).

- On the radio today I heard it said that watching a big game like the Super Bowl releases adrenaline in a manner similar to riding a roller coaster (except it lasts three hours, not three minutes). It can cause heart attacks in at-risk folks. Wow! I suppose having a heart attack while watching a sporting events might be a sign of caring too much about them. I know that feeling, though. I know the heart-racing excitement that comes from watching a game, but is it good? When does it become sinful?

- I was with an older brother tonight, and we were talking with a Muslim friend of his. We discussed some things about the Bible and the Koran--it was good. This other brother was very bold in bringing up some things he wanted his friend to consider. It's a boldness that I lack at times. I find myself being hesitant to bring up spiritual matters. May the Lord grant me a greater awareness of His Spirit and how He wants to work in situations such as these.

- The Bears were terrible tonight, and the real drag about that is that now we in the Chicago area have to hear talk about Rex Grossman for a few more weeks. Maybe I'll avoid sports radio for a while........

No comments: